Monday 19 March 2012

Being "me", not just "Mummy"

I decided not to return to work this year (as a primary school teacher), because I want to stay at home with my kids a bit longer. But, I was concerned that not returning to work would cut off an avenue for me being an individual - being an autonomous human being, independent from my role as Mummy.  So this year, I've been making a concerted effort to do some things that I enjoy, that are for me - things that are part of who I am and what I enjoy doing (besides being a Mum).

2012 "me time" things:
* learning new sewing skills & tackling different projects
* blogging
* using the treadmill at night (well, I actually only used the treadmill for about 3 weeks, but I'm planning to get back to it tonight!)
* journaling & bible reading (during the kids' "rest time" in the middle of the day)
* spending time with friends (I am really enjoying the bible study group I have joined with some other Mums - our kids go to creche and we actually get to talk to each other - it's wonderful!)

But there is one more thing that I want to do this year - brush up on my rusty piano skills! I have always loved playing the piano. I was lucky enough to have one in my classroom, so I would often play at lunchtime or after school to chill out. But since I've been at home with kids, I haven't had convenient access to a piano, so I've barely played in the past 4 and a half years. After talking about it with Franky (and assuring him that the piano would get more use than my neglected treadmill), we bought a digital piano last week. It meant rearranging lots of furniture in our townhouse to make a space, but I'm so glad that we did. I like the furniture arrangement better now - and I love being able to play my own piano!!


The kids are really enjoying having the piano around and Mr Sociable is very keen for me to teach him to play. I think it will be good for him to learn a skill that he has to work at - he is quick to dismiss a new task if it doesn't come easily.






But for now, I am enjoying the "me" time, remembering the songs that I used to play and rediscovering my piano skills.

What "me" things are you doing in 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...