Thursday 1 March 2012

Better than bread...

I've written before about my love of pancakes. I've recently tried making savory pancakes for the boys & they both love them! They are pretty filling, so they make a nutritious lunch (with hidden vegies). I'm planning to spread vegemite on some of them and freeze them as sandwiches for Mr Sociable to take to Prep.

Pancake sandwich with vegemite
Wholemeal Savory Pancakes*
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 large carrot, grated
1 large zucchini, grated
1 big handful of shredded tasty cheese

Combine all ingredients. Spoon out blobs of mixture onto a non-stick frypan (low heat). The mixture is thicker than regular pancake mixture, so I spread the blobs out in the frypan. Cook one side, then flip to cook the other side. Serve with savory spread or toppings. So far my kids have eaten them with vegemite and with tomato sauce. Today I am sending Mr Sociable to prep with avocado and cheese on a pancake sandwich. I think ham, cheese & tomato would be nice too!

You could substitute the carrot/zucchini for other vegies (eg corn) or meat (eg ham/bacon).

* This is a modified version of a recipe I received from Sarah. Thanks Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...