Monday 14 May 2012

Sewing with kids: Sewing on hessian

Do you remember sewing with pieces of hessian when you were in primary school? I found some hessian in a cupboard, so I decided to start teaching Mr Sociable some simple sewing.

I bought some thick plastic needles from a sewing shop. I found some scrap wool at home. I traced a picture of a car onto the hessian with a permanent marker. I also drew a tree freehand. Mr Sociable chose the tree (so I made the car). It was really nice to sit together and sew.



I taught him how to stitch in and out along the line. I tied a knot in the end of the wool and I also tied the wool onto the needle (he got frustrated with the wool regularly becoming unthreaded).

We started this project in September last year (a few months before Mr Sociable turned 4). He gave it a good go, but needed quite a bit of help.
Mr Sociable sewing, age 3 years 9 months
Last week, Mr Sociable reminded me about the sewing project and asked if we could finish it. Being a bit older, he found sewing easier this time. He was much quicker, needed less help and his stitches were much more even.


Left: Mr Sociable sewing, age 4 years 5 months
Right: The back (notice the knots and the red marker)
Finally, I cut a frame out of red card to frame the sewing for Nana for Mothers' Day. To make the frame, I cut a rectangle out of an A4 piece of card (leaving a 4 cm border). I used PVA glue to stick the hessian to the border & then stuck a full piece of A4 card on the back - hiding the knots and the red marker.



My Nana loved receiving something that Mr Sociable had made for Mothers' Day. Mr Sociable and I really enjoyed sewing together - I think there will be more of these projects to come! He kept telling me how nice it was to sew together (I think he enjoyed sharing in something that I like to do).

4 comments:

Debbie @ Aspiring Mum said...

What a great idea! Hessian would be so much easier to use than those plastic mats that come in some sewing kits. And I love that you're teaching your son to sew. My dad is the youngest of 8 kids (2 girls, 6 boys) and my grandmother taught them all to sew and knit. 

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

Thanks Deb :) How awesome that she taught all the boys too!

I think sewing is becoming a bit of a lost art - I'd love for my boys to at least be able to sew on buttons, take up hems & do simple mending (even if they aren't interested in designing/making clothes like I am!).

I have enjoyed sharing my interest with Mr 4 - and I have fond memories of my Nana sharing her love of sewing with me when I was a child!

Jodi Living Simply said...

This is really funny. I have been given some hessian recently and thought I would do it with my (almost) 4 year old. Good to know it's achievable.
P.S. I made him a pair of pants from a shirt following your instructions yesterday. Worked really well. Will be blogging about it myself - and have linked to your blog for the credit! Thanks!

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

It is achievable :) I recommend a pretty simple shape (the tree worked well).

Well done on making a pair of pants! Glad they worked out well :) You will get quicker and quicker at them the more you make - now I look at the ones in the shop & think "why would I buy those? I can make them in less than an hour..." Thanks for the link back :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...