Tuesday 1 May 2012

Will my weaknesses be their weaknesses?

Do you ever think about your areas of weakness? Do you wonder if your kids will inherit your messy hand-writing? or your terrible ball skills? or your dislike of maths? or your unco dance moves?

I recently read a FB/blog comment in which the author criticised parents who allow their children to start school without ball skills. It occurred to me that I could be one of those parents next year! I have no aptitude for sport and Mr Sociable has shown little interest in ball games - as such, we don't spend a lot of time throwing, catching or kicking a ball.


That comment has made me think about all the things that I am not teaching my kids. All the things that they could be learning, but don't. There are things that come easily to me as a parent - teaching Mr Sociable to read, creating fun learning activities, involving my kids in cooking and doing craft together. But there are some areas in which I feel pretty unskilled - particularly in sport. I don't watch sport, I don't play sport. I can't tell you the rules of soccer or basketball, I can't tell the the best way to learn to throw overarm. So how can I encourage my kids to overcome their sport handicap?

I've been thinking the example my Mum gave me while I was growing up. My Mum is not very interested in craft - she would rather do just about anything else than complete a scrap-booking or card-making project (I suspect she would even rather do the ironing!). But, my sister and I really loved it. So, she encouraged our interest by buying card-making equipment and doing card-making projects with us. She learnt how to do stencil embossing, paper-quilling and stamping. I remember spending lots of time at the kitchen table together, working on Christmas cards and other projects. Despite not being very interested in craft, my Mum learnt new skills and shared them with us.

So, last week, I decided that Mr Sociable and I should kick a ball around in the backyard. He was not very interested in the aimless kicking that I suggested. So, I created a goal against the fence, using our empty sandpit. Then he really started to enjoy the challenge of scoring goals! We weren't competing - just taking turns to kick the ball into the goal. He was able to start out pretty close to the goal and to try moving backwards as he got more confident. He did this task over and over again (and was keen to try again the next day!).


The thing that surprised me the most was that I actually enjoyed this activity. Even though I'm not very sporty, I enjoyed the time spent doing sport with my boys. Even though I felt out of my depth teaching Mr Sociable how to kick, I loved seeing his excitement when he managed to kick a goal! I'm not pretending to suddenly be a sport-lover, but I am keen to spend more time together in the backyard, kicking a ball around (I'm also planning to dig out my "Fundamental Movement Skills" information from school to make sure I'm actually teaching him the right thing ;)).

So, what about you? Can you see areas of weakness that you inherited from your parents? Do you have areas of weakness that you can see your kids are developing too?

 

10 comments:

Nicole (SportyMummy) said...

What an awesome post...it's so great to see you and the kids having fun out in the backyard!! 

Rachel from Redcliffe Style said...

I love this post but what sort of person would criticise parents for sending children to school with no ball skills. I would be more concerned about parents that haven't toilet trained their child yet or fail to make them meals. 

I have too spent time doing what my lids enjoy and then have found that I have been enjoying myself. Cute photos. Rachel xx

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

Thanks Nicole. We do spend a lot of time outside (gardening, playing in the dirt, doing craft) - just not doing sport ;)

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

Thanks Rachel :)

I think it was a teacher ;) I guess everyone has particular things that they think are *important* skills for kids to learn.

Jess@diaryofasahm said...

I can see definite areas of character weakness my kids inherited. Also my lack of skills with scissors! ;)

I think it's great to do this stuff with your kids. Even if you're hopeless at it, they have no idea an just enjoy spending time with you.

As for teaching your kids everything before school, that's impossible. Everyone just does their best, and if they need to learn something once they are there they will. I think it's more import to focus on reaching moral charectistics like concentration, respect and kindness.

Janet Camilleri said...

I seem to have passed on my not very good swimming skills to Mr 18 & Miss 15, despite lessons & doing all I could to make sure they didn't have to be embarassed at school by always being in the "Turtles" swimming group like I did!

Mr 18 seems to have picked up my phone phobia - I hate making phone calls and he is just as bad. Ooops!

Veronica @ Mixed Gems said...

I do think about this. I think awareness is always the beginning of change. The actual change is where the hard work comes in!

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

Sure is! Sometimes it's more fun to think about all the different things we could do than to actually do them...

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

I guess part of that is accepting that we are all going to have different strengths and weaknesses. I suspect that no matter how much backyard sport I do with Mr 4, he is never going to be an athlete (he doesn't really show the interest or the ability...)

I'm with you on the phone thing - I don't like it either!

Erin @ Lohtown Life said...

I need to try and keep the starting school thing in perspective. You're right, they do learn things once they get there. I guess being a former kindergarten teacher means that I put pressure on myself to help Mr 4 be thoroughly prepared when he starts.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...